R&D Tax Credit for Architects: Let the Government Pay You For Your Great Designs

The Research and Development (R&D) tax credit is often thought of as a credit created for research done by scientists with white lab coats in a laboratory. This is simply not true. In 2003, the IRS relaxed the rules for claiming the credit which opened it up to a wide range of industries, including architecture firms.

How does getting a significant tax credit for something that you already do sound?.

  • Developing conceptual/schematic designs
  • Designing and developing functional site plans and elevation drawings
  • Developing construction documents
  • Designing and developing energy efficient designs and features
  • Designing and developing unit building shapes, forms, and facades
  • Generally, architecture firms spend more than half of their time on activities that qualify as R&D expenses. These activities include:

As you can see each one of these activities is a large part of the projects that architecture firms work on daily. Let the government pay you for your work!

To claim the credit, you must meet certain requirements outlined in IRS §41. Let PriceKubecka help you identify your R&D tax credits and help you get money that is rightfully yours.

About author
Generic placeholder image
Jason George, CPA
Jason expertise ranges from high net worth individuals and closely held businesses to large public corporations. His areas of specialization include real estate, oil and gas, retail and manufacturing. Jason is a Texas Certified Public Accountant, and is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants (TSCPA), and the Dallas Chapter of the TSCPA. Jason received his bachelor’s degree from Austin College.

News On R&D Tax Credit

Contact PriceKubecka Today

The research and development credit of IRC § 41 can be a significant advantage for businesses that develop, design or improve products, techniques, software and similar activities. It can be calculated under either the regular research credit (RRC) method or the alternative simplified credit (ASC) method.

Read the Article
Send Us a Quick Email for more Information

Related articles from Jason